UK Visas: Can I bring my family to the UK?

If you’re looking to relocate to the UK, you may be unsure whether your family can accompany you. In this blog, we’ll help outline what visas will allow your family to relocate with you and the process you need to undertake to apply.

The most common visa which will allow IMG’s to bring dependants with them is a Tier 2 General Visa or Health and Care Visa. You can read more information about how to obtain one of these visas here. In summary, these are granted to highly skilled workers from outside of the UK who have secured a job with a certificate of sponsorship. As a Health and Care Visa holder, you’ll be allowed to bring your dependants to the UK with you.

The qualifying list for dependants is as follows:     

  • Your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
  • Children aged under 18 at the time of application
  • Children over 18 if they’re living in the UK (mainly for reapplications)

Evidence you’ll need to provide for these relations:

  • Proof of your relation to the child
  • For your partner, you’ll need either:
  • Proof of civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • Proof you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply

If your child is 16 or over:

They must:

  • Live with you (unless in full-time education at boarding school, college, or university)
  • Not be married, in a civil partnership or have children
  • Be financially supported by you

If your child lives with you, you’ll need to provide evidence of their address. You can use the following:

  • Bank statements
  • Credit card bills
  • Driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • An official letter from their university or college

The money they need to support themselves:

As your family will be classed as your dependants, it is assumed they will rely on you to support them when living in the UK.

As a result, in addition to the funds you need present in your bank account for your own application, you also need to provide evidence that you can support them financially too. The required amount differs as follows:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

Here’s an example:

You would need to have £1,870 available for yourself, your partner and one child to secure a visa. (This is broken down as £600 for your partner and child, £1,270 for your own application).

You must have the money available for a minimum of 28 days in a row. The final day must be within 31 days of you applying for this visa.

Applying from outside the UK:

Each family member must apply separately and pay the fee for their visa. This fee will change depending on how long they intend to remain in the UK for:

  • Up to three years – £232 per person
  • More than three years – £464 per person

Apply online as your partner

Apply online as your child

How long does it take to get a decision?

Once your family have applied online and provided all the documents required, you should usually hear back within three weeks for a Health and Care Visa (this can be longer for a Tier 2 General Visa). Depending on the country you’re relocating from, there may be services where you can pay to speed up this application process.

What are your family permitted to do with a dependant visa?

After you’ve successfully secured a dependant visa for your family. It’s important to know what they legally can and can’t do with their visa status:

  • They are permitted to:
  • Remain in the UK as long as the main visa holder is legally living in the country.
  • Travel in and out of the UK.
  • Work under certain conditions
  • Study in the UK

They are not permitted to:

  • Claim benefits from public funds
  • Work as a dentist/doctor in training
  • Work as a sportsperson

Full government information can be found here.

Relocating with Pulse

Our dedicated international team will work closely with you to offer a tailored experience for your journey to the UK. We understand we’re all different, and as such, everyone will take a different path to reach their destination. To ensure you are fully supported on your journey, we’ll be with you every step of the way, highlighting the best options to suit your requirements for your relocation to the UK.

If you’d like to find out more about how Pulse can help you relocate as a healthcare professional, click here to register your interest.

Register with us

Register your interest and we will be in touch to discuss your work preferences.

Register today

Search jobs

We offer a huge variety of temporary and permanent jobs to choose from.

Search and apply

Leave a comment