Healthcare Brexit update

At Pulse, we greatly value the contributions made by the many healthcare professionals from EU countries who work with us every day. They support our clients and the services we provide across the UK.

The European Parliament has approved the terms of the UK’s departure from the European Union which means the UK will leave with a withdrawal agreement in place. After Brexit Day (31 January 2020), there will be a transition period while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. Current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during this transition period until 31 December 2020, allowing EU citizens to continue to study, work and live in the UK post-Brexit.

What does this mean for EU citizens?

During the transition period, EU citizens and their families can move to and work in the UK as they do now. Consequently, right to work checks for employers will remain the same, meaning it is business as usual at Pulse.

Actions you can take now to prepare for 2021

All workers from the EU are encouraged to apply via the EU Settlement Scheme. EU citizens and their families who lived in the UK before Brexit Day have until 30 June 2021 to apply for settled status, but we recommend that you apply as soon as possible. It’s free to do so and if your application is successful, you’ll receive either settled or pre-settled status.

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying – for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

Future immigration

The Government intends to introduce a new immigration system from January 2021. EU citizens arriving in the transition period can sign up to a new voluntary immigration scheme. The European Temporary Leave to Remain Scheme (Euro TLR) will give EU citizens the ability to stay in the UK for 36 months from the date it is granted.

The rights and status of EU, EEA and Swiss citizens living in the UK will remain the same until 30 June 2021 and we will keep you updated on future changes. For now, please be reassured that there will be no change to working arrangements or checks that we make during the transition period.

Please note: You cannot use the online service to apply to the scheme if you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you’re applying as:

  • The family member of a British citizen you lived with in Switzerland or an EU or EEA country that is not the UK
  • The family member of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • The primary carer of a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • The child of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, and you’re in education – or you’re the child’s primary carer

If this applies to you, please contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre to find out how to apply. You’ll be asked a few questions over the phone before you’re sent the application form.

Leave a comment