7 things you need to know about revalidation
Why do we need to revalidate?
The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) introduced revalidation for all nurses and midwives in 2016. Revalidation is a straightforward process that will help you to demonstrate that you practice safely and effectively.
- When should I revalidate? The NMC revalidation needs to be completed every three years. Your revalidation application deadline is the first day of the month that your registration expires. For example, if your registration expires on 30 June 2016, your revalidation application, and fees, will need to be submitted to the NMC by 1 June 2016.
- How do I find out my revalidation renewal date? You can check your revalidation date by logging into your NMC account. If you have not yet got an account, you can register here. Once you have logged in, in the right-hand corner you’ll find your:
- NMC PIN number
- Fee expiry date
- Renewal date – your renewal date is your revalidation date
Do I need to be in a permanent job to revalidate?
No. If you only work for an agency you’re still able to revalidate. If Pulse is your main employer we will support and guide you through the revalidation process. Contact us to speak to the Revalidation Team today.
Do I need to revalidate if I only do agency work?
Yes. You will need to demonstrate that you are keeping up to date with current best practice.
Declaring your main employer
If you are currently practising in more than one setting, you will need to tell the NMC which you consider to be your main employer. The NMC will need to know if you are currently practising and where you undertake that practice, including details of your scope of practice and work setting.
Agency staff will declare the places they most frequently work shifts – for Pulse nurses and midwives we can help you source this information.
What are the revalidation requirements?
These are all of the requirements that you must meet in order to complete your revalidation and renew your registration every three years with the NMC.
- 450 practice hours, or 900 if you’re renewing as both a nurse and midwife*
- 35 hours of CPD including 20 hours of participatory learning*
- Five pieces of practice-related feedback*
- Five written reflective accounts*
- Reflective discussion
- Health and character declaration
- Professional indemnity arrangement
*If you are revalidating with Pulse you must bring all completed forms required for revalidation with you for your revalidation appointment.
Don’t forget to look through the NMC Revalidation Guide, it provides you with key information and examples of how to meet the requirements of each section.
If you have any questions or want to find out more about revalidation with Pulse Nursing, we have a dedicated Revalidation Team to support you through the process. Just get in touch and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Register with us
At Pulse, we care about placing you in the right role. Register your interest in joining us and we’ll be in touch to help you discover the perfect opportunities.Register today
Search nurse jobs
You’re more than a nurse, we’re more than an agency. With a huge variety of temporary and permanent jobs to choose from, find your next role with Pulse today.Search and apply
Registering with Pulse
Register your interest
Register your interest or apply for a vacancy. We’ll get in touch to explore your work preferences.
Get ready for work
Whether online or via a consultant, we’ll process your documents so you’re ready to start work.