Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about moving to ScotlandWhat are the transport links like?

The transport system in Scotland is generally well-developed. Scotland has an extensive railway network with cross country links joining the various parts of the country, and connections to England. Scotland also has an extensive road network throughout the country.

Scotland has four airports, Edinburgh Airport, Glasgow International Airport, Aberdeen Airport and Glasgow Prestwick International Airport which serve many international destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America, as well as to and from London.

What is the currency?

The currency in Scotland is not different from the rest of the United Kingdom in that it uses the British Pound, although Scottish banks do print their own versions of notes.

Do I need a visa?

No, a visa is not required to work and live in Scotland if travelling from Britain. The same laws apply to Scotland as that of the UK, when travelling from abroad.

What is the demand like for psychological therapists in Scotland?

Demand in Scotland varies unlike that of Northern Ireland [link to page] and Wales [link to page]. Our requests for staff are mostly in trauma and adult mental health. However the market is always evolving for the demand of psychological therapists and we are therefore receiving more vacancies on a weekly basis within various client groups. To hear more about the current demand in this country, contact the team on 01992 305 604 or

What professional registration do I need to work in Scotland?

  • Psychologists – HCPC Registration
  • Psychotherapists – UKCP registration
  • CBT Therapists – BABCP registration/accreditation
  • Family Therapists – UKCP or AFT registration
  • CAMHS Practitioners – With a core profession in Nursing (NMC), Social Work (HCPC), Psychology (HCPC) or Occupational Therapy (HCPC) with additional Talking Therapies qualification.