Registering with the General Medical Council

To work as a doctor in the UK you will need to apply for registration with a licence to practise, with the General Medical Council (GMC). The main requirements for this are a valid primary medical qualification (PMQ) or an acceptable postgraduate qualification.  

If you studied in Europe, your PMQ will already be accepted by the GMC. If you studied elsewhere, you’ll need to sit a postgraduate exam to validate your eligibility to work as a doctor in the UK.  

EU graduate requirements: 

  • Primary medical degree completed in the EU 
  • English language evidence 

Non-EU graduate requirements: 

  • PLABS or MRCPsych post graduate exam 
  • English Language evidence 

The GMC has created an online tool to help you identify the correct application for you. Based on your nationality, qualification and experience you’ll receive guidance on the steps you need to take. 

Visit the GMC website

Why work in the UK

With its prestigious NHS, culture, music and arts, along with its proximity to the rest of Europe, the UK is the best place to further your career.

Eligible visas for working in the UK

There are many different types of visa that allow you to practice in the UK. See what’s best for your circumstances.

Support and guidance

Whatever stage of the journey you’re at, we’re on hand to offer the support and guidance you need to succeed.

Not what you’re looking for?

Search our jobs

We have thousands of healthcare jobs waiting for you, including many that are exclusive to Pulse.

Read our FAQs

We’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions to give you the answers you need.

Want to talk?

Simply request a call back and we’ll be in touch at a time that suits you.