Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about Northern IrelandWhat are the transport links like?

Northern Ireland is extremely easy to get to. There are daily flights to and from London City Airport and Belfast only taking 1 hour 45 minutes, or to London Heathrow in 1 hour 20 minutes. With many different airlines offering flights, there's always flights available at reasonable prices. Train and bus services in Northern Ireland are well-established offering links across the country, not to mention the comprehensive metro system in Belfast.

What is the currency?

As part of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland's currency is the pound sterling (£).

Do I need a visa?

You do not need a visa to work and live in Northern Ireland if travelling from Britain. The same laws apply to Northern Ireland as that of the UK, when travelling from abroad.

What is the demand like for psychological therapists in Northern Ireland?

Currently there is high demand for Psychologists at all levels, and specialities, particularly in learning disabilities, autism, CAMHS, and complex adult mental health. However the market is always evolving for the demand of psychological therapists and we are therefore receiving more vacancies on a weekly basis within various client groups. To hear more about the current demand in this country, contact the team on 01992 305 604 or

How have other workers found the experience of working in Northern Ireland?

"When Pulse mentioned working as a Clinical Psychologist in Northern Ireland, I was intrigued but also scared at the same time. While the money and career progression were attractive, this was not my primary motivator. I wanted to swap the hustle and bustle of busy London city life for rolling hills and seaside living whilst immersing myself in a new culture. My experience so far in Northern Ireland has been priceless. I have had the privilege to work in two excellent teams with amazing colleagues. I enjoy my work here so much, and the work-life balance is far greater here. Pulse are grand (picking up Irish lingo along the way) and I have felt exhaustively supported by them every step of the way. My only regret is that I did not move to Northern Ireland or join Pulse far sooner!"

Camillia N.

What professional registration do I need to work in Northern Ireland?

  • Psychologists – HCPC Registration
  • Psychotherapists – UKCP registration
  • CBT Therapists – BABCP registration/accreditation
  • Family Therapists – UKCP or AFT registration
  • CAMHS Practitioners – With a core profession in Nursing (NMC), Social Work (HCPC), Psychology (HCPC) or Occupational Therapy (HCPC) with additional Talking Therapies qualification.