Position – Staff Nurse – Outpatients Department - Kent
Location – Kent
Ref - ZAOUTKENT
Salary – £23,000 - £28,500 depending on experience
Hours – Permanent Full Time or Part Time
My client is an independent hospital and charity who provide elective health care needs for members of the client as well as NHS and privately insured patients. They are currently recruiting across their site and have some exciting opportunities, both full and part time, highly motivated, dynamic and flexible Registered Nurse to join their Outpatient team delivering a high standard of individual focused care to patients undergoing a variety of Outpatient consultations and procedures.
As a nursing member of team, you will be required to have experience of medical, surgical or pre-operative assessment clinics, and possess the ambition to further develop your knowledge and skills across these diverse areas of nursing. You may be required to act as the nurse in charge in the absence of the Sister or Senior Staff Nurses, so should be someone who relishes such opportunities.
- Plan and implement high standards of clinical care including delivering health promotion and
- discharge advice for patients, following hospital guidelines and protocols, promoting a patientfocussed approach to care
- Ensure patient care areas are safe, fit for purpose and effectively maintained
- Ensure patient information data is correctly recorded in the appropriate IT systems
- General supervision of junior members of the team, including providing clinical supervision/act as a mentor, being accountable for Outpatients in the absence of the Sister or Service Manager - Outpatients
Where does role fit in organisation?
- Reports to the Out-Patient Sister
- Member of the clinical team within Outpatients with strong links to the Patient Administration Service Department and all clinical areas
Boundaries of role
- The postholder will follow standard policies and procedures of work however they are expected to use their knowledge and initiative to make decisions regarding assessing and monitoring patient care in order to deliver the role effectively.
- Undertake a wide range of work procedures using complex or sensitive information which will require the use of initiative and analysis. For instance; planning and implementing care of patients within Outpatients; assessing and monitoring patients whilst within Outpatients, carrying out health assessments including pre-operative assessment within the pre-assessment clinics, bookings of tests, undertaking investigations, health promotion and teaching; ensuring data is correctly recorded on Oasis or other electronic software/paper notes
- Administer drugs in line with NMC Standards for Administration of Medicines and follow the hospital’s Medicine Management Policy
- Act as the patient’s advocate, maintaining their dignity at all times
- Other duties will include undertaking basic tests such as; phlebotomy, ECG, breath tests, peak flows, bladder scans and flow rates, pulse, temperature, respiratory rate, height, weight and BMI calculations, etc. Be able to interpret results and raise awareness of abnormal results. Analysis of tests is the responsibility of the relevant medical practitioner in the case
- Other routine duties will include helping use clinic rooms and equipment in a safe way at all times,
- acting as a link nurse in one aspect of clinical care, arranging for bodily fluid spillages to be cleared away immediately, and all waste to be disposed of in accordance with local Policy. Demonstrate compliance with the hospital’s policies for maintaining a safe environment, i.e. Infection Control, Hand Washing, Medicines Management
- General supervision of junior members of the team, including allocating day to day work, appraisals
- and (where necessary) training development, recruitment and selection, absence monitoring, providing clinical supervision/acting as a mentor where required. Be accountable for Outpatients in the absence of the Sister or Service Manager
- Maintain professional development particularly through the national professional body, for instance by participating in audits especially for monitoring quality, demonstrating an awareness of research, proposing changes to working practices or procedures for the department, and recommending and implementing changes
- Contribute to budgetary management by exercising care and economy in the ordering and use of equipment and consumables
- Basic supporting activities such as undertaking administrative duties to support the department when required
- Communicate with patients and their carers verbally and in writing as and when required, using tact, reassurance, discretion and maintaining confidentiality at all times
- Communicate with other staff members and stakeholders (i.e. external consultants, GPs, phlebotomy, other departments internal and external), verbally and in writing as and when required, concerning sometimes complex information, such as patient history and clinical procedures
- There will be a frequent requirement for light physical effort, for instance, moving clinical equipment.
- The role is likely to have predictable work patterns with a need for concentration whilst assisting in clinics. Work may be occasionally distressing.
- The postholder will perform other duties appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time by the Sister or Service Manager - Outpatients or their deputies.
SPECIFIC ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- The postholder will may be required to work shifts, nights, weekends and bank holidays.
- The postholder will be expected to be a member of the Nursing & Midwifery Council/Health and Care Professionals Council and will be expected to abide by the relevant Code of Conduct and any supporting policies/procedures for clinical staff within the hospital.
Proven Knowledge, Training and Experience
- Degree or equivalent experience
- Registered Nurse (with supporting PREP evidence) preferably with some Outpatient experience
- Basic Life Support training or a willingness to undertake training
- Good IT skills
- Basic phlebotomy, drug administration (IV and sub-cutaneous) and ECG monitoring experience or a willingness to undertake training
- Proven ability to undertake multiple tasks under pressure
- Mentorship experience or willingness to undertake training
Skills & Competencies
- Effective verbal communication using tact and diplomacy
- Excellent written skills
- Strong prioritisation skills
- Strong patient-centred approach
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.