Job Title – Staff Nurse Ophthalmology – Reading
Ref - ZARADNRS
Salary – Dependant upon Experience
Hours –Part Time– Permanent
Responsible to – Lead Nurse
The Vacancy –
The client is currently looking for a Registered Staff Nurse to join their Ophthalmic department at Reading. The successful candidate will be responsible for working flexibly, as part of the hospital’s clinical team, to provide the highest standards of nursing care to their patients; to maintain high standards of communication throughout the hospital, and to make a positive contribution towards the team’s pursuit of excellence. Principle Responsibilities –
• Providing the highest standards of nursing care as required within each of our care settings
• Preparing clinic rooms for procedures including preparation of sterile instrumentation, equipment and supplies as required, ensuring appropriate use of resources and minimal waste.
• Ensuring the Patient Record is completed in a timely and accurate way.
• Acting as mentor for students, learners, junior nurses and Health Care Assistants and recording progress, as appropriate.
• Participating in teaching within your sphere of knowledge and skill.
• Organising own time and taking responsibility for duties delegated by the Lead Nurse or unit nursing lead.
• Maintaining effective channels of communication at all times.
• Complying with Circle policies/procedures and in particular, issues relating to Health and Safety, COSSH, Incident Reporting and the Data Protection Act.
• Reporting all accidents and untoward incidents and complete appropriate forms.
• Acting as specialist/link person having undergone the relevant training sessions in your area of expertise.
• Developing the patient pathway to ensure that the patient is prepared physically and psychologically to undergo necessary procedures.
• Ensuring patient receives the appropriate documented information for the planned procedure.
• Obtaining patient consent for specific procedures after undertaking appropriate on line packages/skills training.
• Delivering patient care in accordance with recognised standards of research and evidence based best clinical practise.
• Leading by example to ensure that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of the patient are protected at all times.Professional Knowledge, Training and Experience –
• Identify personal objectives, reflect on progress and set a personal development plan annually in order to develop within post.
• Liaise with Lead nurse in agreeing how identified training and development needs are met.
• Ensure that own practice is kept updated using an appropriate model of clinical supervision.
• Take every opportunity to expand own practice in line with the principles contained within the Nursing and Midwifery Council guidelines and protocols.
• Ensure that all elements contained within the NMC Code of Professional Conduct are adhered to, including ensuring maintenance of anaesthetic registration requirements if appropriate.
• Develop clinical knowledge and professional skills through relevant training.Qualifications skills and Previous experience –
• Experience in a similar role
• NMC registration
• Demonstrable record of CPD
• Knowledge of current issues in professional practice with particular relevance to the Unit
• Knowledge of standards of professional practice in the wider healthcare context
• Check visual acuity
• Yag laser set up
• A calm, caring and empathic attitude towards patients, relatives & colleagues
• An ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels, with a commitment to collaborative working
• Team-building skills
• Excellent standard of patient care
• Flexible approach to work and working hours
• Strong organisational skills
• Relate well to all staff
• Diligent and enthusiastic
• Willingness to learn new skills through practical experience.Desirable –
• Additional registration
• Post basic course
• Research and audit experience
• Evidence of change management
• Completion of all local competency packages
• OCT – scan of back of the eye
• Humphrey Visual Field Analysis
• Ophthalmology pre assessment experience.
• IT skills and awareness
• Flexibility to work in different specialties.
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.