Position – Registered Nurse- Partially Sighted or Blind Children - Coventry
Ref – DBRGNCLD0
Location – Coventry
Salary – Competitive
Hours –Full Time- Day’s or Nights Available. About the Centre
At my clients Centre, they offer individually-tailored education, care and therapies to children and young people with multiple disabilities and complex health needs who are blind or partially sighted, from pre-school up to the age of 19. My client’s specialist school and centre is based in Coventry.Specialist Services:
Building on over fifty years' experience, the centre offer a stimulating and supportive purpose-built environment for children and young people, enabling them to reach their full potential for learning, independence and fulfilment. My clients range of services includes:
• Education in our special school and nursery
• Up to 52-week residential care
• Nursing care for children with additional medical needs
• Therapies and healthcare
• Outreach and training.Main tasks and clinical responsibilities:
• Has delegated responsibility for assessing, planning, organising and implementing care packages for children with complex continuing health care needs.
• Assists in reviewing the complex care of highly dependent children and young people.
• Will be expected to respond in an emergency / escalation situations, having developed the specialist clinical skills in response to client’s complex needs, according to agreed protocols and within the scope of their ability.
• Demonstrates clinical excellence and a consistently high standard of nursing practice within the field of High Dependency Nursing.
• Following specific training to meet the complex needs of these highly dependent children, the post holder will carry out assigned tasks according to policy whilst maintaining a high standard of care delivery.
• To be proficient in utilising highly specialised equipment within area of responsibility, to include maintenance and checking schedules.
• As part of a multidisciplinary team, devise and deliver training to staff on their induction and continuously monitor the effectiveness of this through regular updates.
• Support the Care Management Team in organising, contributing and participating in the orientation and induction programmes, and training plans for new staff,
• The post holder will be expected to undertake further education / training as appropriate to meet the needs of highly dependent children e.g. use of ventilators, tracheotomy changes and will be responsible for own professional development
• Participate in clinical supervision sessions on a regular basis.
• Support effective communication strategies between the care team, children and families and other members of the Multi-disciplinary team.
• To deal with emotional circumstances which might be distressing e.g. imparting unwelcoming news to patients, carers and staff. May be required to deal with the terminally ill and participate in end of life pathways
• Responsible for ensuring that all equipment used within their sphere of nursing by patient / carers, is in good working order and serviced in accordance with manufacturing recommendations, keeping meticulous records of safety checks and servicing.
• To monitor and maintain safe stock levels, ensuring adequate supplies and that resources are used efficiently and effectively.
• Demonstrate excellent time management ability and prioritisation of skills / duties.
• Adheres to all policies and proceduresPerson specification
All criteria are essential unless otherwise stated:
• Qualified nurse Registered General Nurse / Registered Sick Children’s Nurse / Registered Nurse Learning Disabilities.
• Up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, ethical issues, strategic frameworks and current guidelines
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team
• Experience of working with children and young people with complex needsDesirable:
• ENB 100/415 – Care of the Ventilated Patient / Intensive care of Ventilated Child or equivalent.
• Experience of management of ventilated children or of working within long-term ventilated packages of care in the community.
• Ability to learn or able to use a computer. Communication:
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, adapting style to suit the audience.
• Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding of the needs of young people, their family and significant others.
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.