Position: Ophthalmic Nurse – Hampshire
Salary: Dependant upon Experience
Hours: Full time & Part Time
My client is recruiting for a Registered Nurse to join the existing team at their Hospital in Hampshire.
My client is a proud pioneer in eye healthcare in the UK who has their very own eye sciences department which is constantly researching new technologies, partnering with leading UK universities across the country, searching for the next best thing for their patients.
The job holder will be responsible for participating in all aspects of the Ophthalmic service at Optegra, including surgery.
The successful candidate will provide excellent care to all patients, with specific responsibility for pre-operative assessment, peri-operative and post-operative care in the surgical and refractive suite of the hospital, which may include diagnostic testing and theatre scrub along with assisting with minor operations.
The successful candidate will ensure a comprehensive level of care provision ensuring the patient is regularly updated to encompass change and will deliver highly skilled patient-centered care to all ophthalmic patients within the hospital.
They will assist in maintaining an ‘out of hours’ emergency patient service for quality standards and continuity of care. Also you will adhere to the principles of clinical governance and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to assist in providing the most efficient and effective level of service.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• To promote a sensitive and caring approach to all patients, visitors and colleagues within the hospital environment.
• To ensure maximum efficiency, utilisation and seamless delivery of support to Consultants / Surgeons.
• To hold accountability for the delivery of high quality patient care throughout their visit to Optegra.
• Use clinical judgement and analytical skills to pro-actively identify potential problems during surgery that require Consultant / Surgeon input.
• Work with Consultant / Surgeon supporting them and delivering excellent care to patients whilst in the theatre environment.
• Provide pre and post-operative instructions to patients/carers through effective communication as part of the clinical competency framework and holistic care of patients.
• Provide expert advice for staff, patients and their carers.
• Administer drugs and treatments as prescribed according to the NMC guidelines for the Safe and Secure handling of medicines.
• To organise notes and hospital lists to ensure smooth running of hospital schedules, using the ERM system or manual records as appropriate.
• To manage all administration tasks and reports that are relevant to you in performing your role to the highest level.
• Through effective communication as part of the clinical competency framework and holistic care to patients, prepare patients for clinical/operative procedures.
• Learn and participate in the Livesey Solar approach to customer and patient service and use these principles to provide exemplary standards of patient care.
• To ensure that all clinical documentation is completed correctly.
• To maintain a safe environment for patients.
• Provide initial emergency care.
• Prepare patients for clinical/operative procedures.
• Ensure awareness of the uses, safety precautions and handling of equipment in the surgical department within the clinical competency framework.
• Ensure correct storage of all equipment ensuring maintenance records are kept up to date and reporting any problems which may result in delay of surgery.
• Help to control cross infection by enforcing Hospital policy regarding Uniform Policy, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures.
• To follow correct procedures for documenting and reporting any accident or incident.
• To assist the Clinical Services Manager with suppliers to ensure relevant levels of stock are available so surgery can be performed without delay.
• Sharing best practice skills with all colleagues.
• Delivery of excellent customer service to achieve consistently high levels of patient satisfaction.
• To observe patient confidentiality at all times, in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
• To ensure effective communication at all times with patients, relatives, carers, visitors, staff and others, in a manner that is consistent with their level of understanding, culture and background, seeking advice and assistance when appropriate.
• To ensure that all communication takes place in a manner that is consistent with legislation, policies and procedures.
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.