Position – Lead Practitioner - Endoscopy- Blackburn
Ref – EKLPRENDO
Salary – £35,000
Hours – FULL TIME
- Undertake and delegate the management and organisation of care provision within the Endoscopy Department while coordinating the management of the endoscopy team.
- Provide quality planned care for patients during the peri-operative phase of care by ensuring all departmental members deliver quality patient care, achieved within the available resources and agreed departmental budget.
- Facilitate and drive improvement in essential quality requirements and Best Practice standards for flexible endoscopy services including decontamination and clinical care.
- Lead, monitor and assist in the delivery of patient care.
- Implement best practice standards (HTM 01-06, Royal College Guidelines, GRS, JAG, etc.) in endoscopy service delivery.
- Ensure all departmental risk assessment, COSHH assessments are completed and involve staff in developing and implementing action plans to address risk.
- Develop and support business initiatives, policies and strategies which improve the service delivered to all our customers.
- Responsible for locally leading and implementing the decontamination programme for flexible endoscopes and overseeing standards of flexible endoscope processing in the OPD or Consulting Suites.
- Develop the departmental audit program including decontamination, clinical standards, microbiological testing, patient experience etc.
- Manage the endoscopy budget and attainment of specific Key Performance Indicators.
- Apply and ensure others apply legislation, policies and procedures correctly.
- Act as the patients advocate and respect the patient’s dignity, privacy, wishes and beliefs.
- Promote best evidence based practice within own scope of practice.
- Encourage, develop and enhance skills and knowledge of others and self.
- Delegate appropriate activities to other staff.
- Establish, maintain and encourage communication covering complex and challenging topics with various groups in regular minuted meetings.
- Undertake departmental HR activities.
- Work with others to deliver a quality, safe endoscopy service.
- Provide skilled assistance to the Consultant during an endoscopy procedure.
- Lead the optimisation of endoscopy utilisation, taking action with regards underutilisation of lists as appropriate.
- Promote and ensure an environment conducive to the safe delivery of flexible endoscope decontamination, prevention and control of infection for all staff, patients and visitors.
- Be aware of and comply with all decontamination, infection prevention and control policies and ensure best practice is maintained to ensure low infection rates.
- Ensure any incidents or complaints are fully documented, investigated and reported.
- Act as a role model and mentor to staff providing advice and support to others to promote good practice consistent with legislation, best practice and policies.
- Research and suggest workforce requirements that meet departmental needs and lead on the subsequent recruitment of staff, ensuring all staff complete an induction and continue to monitor their progress.
- Undertake regular performance reviews with staff, ensuring all staff have a personnel development plan. Cascading this process through the department.
- Enable and encourage team members to expand and develop their own competencies.
- Manage the sickness absence process.
- Schedule and manage annual leave requests ensuring there is no negative impact on the service delivered.
- Manage the grievance and disciplinary policy and procedure as appropriate.
- Delegate responsibility and tasks to others who have the ability to deliver the desired results, which makes optimum use of colleague’s abilities while providing learning opportunities.
- Ensure staff, stakeholders participate in regular communication related to service development and improvement
- Communicate business decisions to staff and Consultants in a positive and supportive manner and lead on initiatives, which directly influence and affect the department.
- Coordinate and contribute to continuous service and practice improvement including audit, patient experience survey, review of incidents and complaints and newly issued guidance. Evaluating their implementation to maintain and enhance service delivery.
- Ensure the working environment is as safe as possible and complies with company, professional, legal requirements and guidelines.
- Constantly evaluate and review the need for resources to either maintain or support the introduction of a service. Participating in the business planning process as appropriate.
- Undertake appropriate clinical activities as per own competence and within own sphere of professional practice.
- Complete all written documentation in a timely manner and to an acceptable level ensuring others do the same.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Consultant satisfaction.
- Patient experience satisfaction.
- Clinical and decontamination quality indicators.
- Endoscopy utilisation.
- Specific nursing KPI’s (issued annually).
- Completion of all annual mandatory training.
- Annual appraisal and continuing professional development.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications:
- Registered Practitioner with NMC or HPC registration.
- Basic and advanced competence/ qualification in Endoscopy Care and Decontamination.
- Operators and Managers Course in Endoscopy Decontamination.
- Knowledge and experience of appropriate standards, accreditation systems and external regulating bodies (Care Quality Commission, GRS, JAG, HTM 01-06)
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Experience and training in pain management, care of the deteriorating patient, care of patient under conscious sedation requiring monitored recovery.
- Experience of clinical governance and audit.
- Teaching/assessing/mentorship qualifications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven experience of leading, managing, motivating, supporting and developing a department.
- Competent across a range of clinical skills supported by professional competence and knowledge.
- Evidence of success in working in partnership with Consultants to explore and challenge existing practices while maintaining and enhancing services and standards.
- A degree of financial awareness with an appreciation of the need to balance the provision of quality care while maintaining a business focus.
- Strong proven experience as a Senior Registered Practitioner or equivalent in an endoscopy service.
- I.T Skills
- Experience of working in the Independent Sector
- Management qualification
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.