Position – Anaesthetics - Pre- assessment Nurse – Chesterfield
Ref – DBATHNRS0
Location – Chesterfield
Salary – Competitive
Hours –Full Time
The role of the Pre-assessment Anaesthetic Nurse is to act as a resource expert in their clinical area. To work closely with the Anaesthetic team to determine patient’s suitability for surgery. Performing the pre-operative assessment will seek advice from the anaesthetist if they are not sure of a patient’s suitability for anaesthetic.
OPD Manager and Clinical Services Manager
• Responsibilities and principal duties To ensure that:
• Patients are better prepared physically, psychologically and socially for their surgery
• Arrangements are in place to facilitate a smooth pre and post-operative course, including a well-planned discharge.
• Consistent and appropriate action is taken for patients with medical problems affecting fitness for surgery.
• A named consultant anaesthetist will have overall responsibility for the patient’s anaesthetic fitness ensuring that the following are in place: Selection criteria, guidelines for pre-operative investigations and a clear mechanism for referral of abnormal test results, or patients requiring a more detailed assessment by an anaesthetist.
• The Consultant responsible for the patients care is ultimately responsible for patient selection for a procedure, and for supporting all health care professionals involved with Pre-Operative Assessment. The nurse has the responsibility for procedure specific patient information leaflets and instruction sheets, as well Anaesthetic leaflets.
• To work with other members of the multi-disciplinary team to provide a safe and supportive environment for patients and staff.
• To carry out patient assessments and ensure that patients are medically fit for the surgery.
• To be responsible for initiating discharge planning arrangements and undertaking care activities when required.
• Undertake assessment of baseline observations, referring problems to relevant members of primary and secondary health care teams, taking appropriate remedial action and ensuring patients are followed-up appropriately. Following clinical assessment make appropriate recommendations regarding patient’s medical fitness for surgery, including suspension and referral of patients.
• To provide patients who have been assessed with expert knowledge and health promotion advice, initiating discharge planning. Through a dynamic and augmented skills approach the continuing educational process will enable practitioners to develop professional autonomy, which will ensure the delivery of a quality service empowering the experience of patients and their carers.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
• 2 years experience
• Recent Outpatient/Pre-Assessment experience
• Good communication skills – written and verbal
• Able to problem solve and work under pressure
• Ability to prioritise workload
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Registered Nurse
• Evidence of Continual Professional Development
• An interest in developing self
• Adaptable and flexible
Pulse is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.